Wednesday, July 11, 2012

A final day in the Big Apple

 Well, folks I believe that I am ready to come home. This has been an extraordinary experience, filled with all kinds of people, and places, and foods, sights and sounds that will ring through my mind for years. New York city seems the penultimate destination for this odyssey. And an odyssey it has been, I have been tempted by the sirens of my past to fall back into the dark waters of alcohol, or worse. Tempted is not succumbing, though! I had to fight the cyclops of my own on that long, miserable trip through west Texas. Wondering if I had the internal strength to carry on. Circe is there in every pretty face that entices me to stay awhile, not to worry about anybody but myself.
 Between a rock and a hard place, how do I move forward to choose the right path in my own existence. Troubled by my previously failed relationships. My lousy, lazy and even stupid reasoning, as I pulled further and further from my own friends and family. It seems,now, that I had chosen neither the devil nor the deep blue sea that were in front of me. I simply spun in place, choosing not Scylla nor Charybdis. I was waiting for someone or something to make my decisions. I cannot claim the cleverness, nor the royal bearing of Odysseus. No, mine has been a slow mind, dumb even dim-witted as I struggled to find my way home. Or, maybe not my way home, to find my own home in the first place. Whoops, too much information? You should have skipped that part, I tends to ramble, eh?
 My visit with Tasha was great, we went all over the  city. We took the subway from the Park Slope neighborhood in Brooklyn to Manhattan, we wandered through the Chelsea Market and we walked along The High Line Park. This is a neighborhood project that has grown to be a city supported green space. The High Line is a long boardwalk set upon the old elevated train tracks that had long been an abandoned eyesore. Now it is a beautiful, plant filled escape from the grimy city streets just below. We sat up there for a while, listening to the NY orchestra, the bangs and clangs of construction, the horn section constantly blaring out for attention. The constant barking of vendors that make up the chorus. All of this together comprise that orchestra.
Tasha and I on High Line
 The Chelsea is a great mix of small stores, bakeries, butcher shops, art galleries, and who knows what else. We wandered  through, smelling the breads, the meats, and once in a while the unmistakeable Human scent. We chatted with an artist whose gallery wasn't really ready, but he couldn't help but want to discuss all of his work. Explaining where his inspirations came from, even offering half price on anything he had 'cuz we were to be his first customers. Kinda reminded me of Lou Reed, the singer. So very New York in his attitude and presentation.
 Last night we all went up the hill to Prospect Park. It is a great space, covered with trees and lawns. Baseball and soccer fields, running paths and a concert stage, designed by the same man who designed Central Park. We sat and listened to three bands play, Tash and Adam have friends who were in the headliner band. "Dirty Projectors" has a unique rock sound, with almost spooky vocal and melody mixes. Very fun!

                                                                                
Adam and Tasha at the bakery for breakfast
Taken on High Line Park. Empire State in background
A nice break in Manhattan

Looking towards the East River in Chelsea
 










 Today we will probably head to the beach. I will put my pinkies in the Atlantic Ocean once more. I will eat pizza, and then have another slice of pizza to go with this slice of America I'm enjoying. I will get on the road early, heading for home, tomorrow morning. I'm not sure about any of my stops along the way, simply following the sun as far and as long as I can each day. I will try to get some more pics of Tasha and Adam at work from their cameras, and one or two more as I move along. I am a slave to the road, however, and can make no promises. I remain, Red, committed to making a difference in the lives that I am entrusted with. Re-committed to allowing those who trust and cared for me through all of my tribulations and tears to remain in and connected to my life. Until then, the journey continues.
 Someone asked me, before this trip started, if I wouldn't be lonely on the road by myself. I told them that I would enjoy my solitude, always have. I have always believed that I was a loner, happy in my "onlyness" and content within. I find, have found, and look forward to finding even more so in the future that I am not a hermit. Nor do I want to be an only, as I had pursued. To all of my family, and my friends, Thank you for listening to my ramblings, thank you for caring about me when I didn't. Thank you for showing me another way to see the world through a much cleaner, more loving, caring lens. These are the pictures and thoughts that will nourish me along my path...REDSENDS...

1 comment:

  1. Dude, you know, your journey doesn't end when you return home, keep looking around you, sometimes we forget that who we are, is reflected in those around you....glad your trip worked out, and will be good to share with you some more of the finer details...until then, travel well/travel light...

    ReplyDelete