Sunday, July 8, 2012

NewYork City, skyscrapers and everything

 A Big Yo! to all from New York. I am in Brooklyn, at my daughters place. I arrived here yesterday afternoon for the last of my family visits outside of Oregon. Tasha and Adam are both very busy young emigrates to the big metropolis. Focused on making their name in the best place to do just that.

 But, I want to start with the final part of my Virginia layover, and to thank those who made it such a relaxing and restful time. Bill Lee is one of my oldest and best friends and you proved why, my brother. Our conversations and comfortability were as if we had just seen each other yesterday, not more than ten years ago as it has actually been. The straight talk and advice, the willingness from both to shut up and listen has always been a keystone of our friendship. You knew you didn't have to entertain me. But, somehow every moment was pure theater of the absurd. Thanks for getting me a massage before I got back on the horse. Thanks for allowing me to be a part of the sale of your truck to that young man, Matt, living his dream as a backwater guide. Brilliant! Thanks to your family, as well. Janice, for being such a warm and honest hostess. Thank you for allowing me to stay in your beautiful home. Thanks to Jared for the use of his room. Keep pushing..."the last easy day was yesterday"...don't let up. Caroline is a lovely, driven student who will find that all the hard work does pay off in the long run.

 The drive up from Virginia to Brooklyn was one of the best, so far (mostly). The Chesapeake Bay Bridge on that very dark morning. Only the long line of those yellow arc lights haloed in humid air, were visible. Then simply disappearing into the tunnels, down from the forty foot above the waterline, dropping unnervingly underwater for about half a mile. A sight strange to see, but, even stranger to ride along. The sunrise, lighting up the sky like a wildfire. The rising sun as big as my fist, creeping up over the trees and farms which pervade this part of the country. The old farm houses sit in their somber plainness, still striking, with simple grace. The quaint little towns dot here and there along the way. The road through most of the Virginia, Delaware, and New Jersey countryside is nice and smooth, undulating like the back of a serpent, set me up for a slow lazy ride soaking up the scenery and humidity along the way.

 Toll roads are the norm here. I paid twenty, then twelve, then two twice, then paid another twelve and eleven dollars in these "visitor taxes" on the ride. The twelve dollar toll in New Jersey must have been for a bumper car ride, 'cuz I saw five crashes along the way. Drivers are seemingly uninvolved, just running up onto the slower vehicle in front of them. A drive that should have taken a couple hours turned into stop and go traffic for four. By the way, those record and near record temps still seem to be following me all along.

  The new York City skyscrapers visible from more than forty miles over land that is not flat.The bridges all through the five boroughs. Drivers, pedestrians and bicyclists here are on top of their game, no slack or you are done for. All pretty cool except for the horn blowers, who just seem to blare out randomly to exclaim their own existence. The city is diversity by the power of 100. If there is a culture on this planet not represented here, they are hiding. The people are warm and friendly, quick to help an idiot lost in the wrong borough. I am proof of that. I took the wrong lane going onto a bridge and ended up in Manhattan instead of Brooklyn.  I got lost, and I am always going to be glad for it. I stopped a NYC cop to get directions. As he was helping me another fellow came up and began to offer another "easier" way to get where I wanted to go. While they were arguing which route to take, Tasha called to say the set of the film was moving to another site. The other guy was a film tradesman, a Grip. He quickly recalculated my route and sent me happily on my way. The diversity...how about a delicious deli sandwich served to me by a kindly Korean storekeeper. Good bread makes a better sandwich and there is something to be said for the argument that it's the water here that makes the bread and pizza crust unique. The friendliness and openness are apparent in everyday people doing everyday things. I was talked to by a woman in the car next to me while stopped at a light. Where was I from, where was I going, don't forget to eat at this place or visit that place. A city bus driver on break, asked me about the ride. Wanting to take the ultimate bus man's holiday; he was planning a motorcycle ride through the Poconos on his dual sport motorcycle. "Just wanna drive by myself, where and when I want. Without a schedule" were his words as we chatted. The young families gathered around the film set all wanted to ask where and how and why as I sat and watched Tasha and Adam work. Finally, the neighbor who came by, just now, to offer my motorcycle a safe place off the street in his patio area to avoid, not from being stolen or?.. but as a place where it would not get bumped, something drivers seem to do to establish their own personal space while parking or pulling out.
 Sitting with Adam last night, reminded me that I am changing, not re-inventing myself. I am being refreshed and re-booted by this experience. I started to say that people are friendlier as I travel east. I think that is wrong. I am becoming friendlier and more open. I am thinking about something I read by L.Ron Hubbard (Scientology guy) in high school... "You make your own reality" he said. People will respond to what you send out. Be an ass, and that's what you get back. Be open and honest and friendly and folks will return it.

 So my closing thought today is to you, not for you. I came out into the wilderness to find myself. I didn't need to find myself, I already exist and thrive with all of you there in my place. I will return soon, refreshed and ready to pursue excellence with your permission and the blessing you have always offered. Thanx to all, see you soon...REDSENDS...





1 comment:

  1. Okay caught up again and so glad to hear your words of wisdom.

    ReplyDelete