Monday, June 25, 2012

Misery loves me

Sunrise Yuma Arizona
Dinner in Deming N Mex
The drive across the desert southwest was hot and miserable. I would like to talk about the quiet solitude and the stark beauty, but it was too, way too hot.
The most remarkable visual part of this leg of the trip were the grave markers along the way. I stopped counting at 150. These are homemade markers ranging from a shrine of about 30 feet across to simple wooden crosses. I wondered along the way how many of these folks died of pure boredom and how many died of the unbearable heat.

The second day was from Deming to Kerrville. It should have been only about 8hrs, but it took almost 12hrs. I had to stop for liquid and heat relief so many times that I was screaming aloud to keep myself moving.I swear it was comparable to the hardest task I ever took on in the Navy. I wanted to quit more than anything. Arrival in Sugar Land Tx was one of the really rewarding moments.

One of the nice parts of the Kerrville stop were the deer. I woke at about 2am to find five of the long legged rats grazing right in front of my tent. Early in the morning around sunrise I watched a fawn suckling off mom for my coffee time. They were right beyond the fence in the campsite picture. Today was spent doing laundry, washing the motorcycle, resting and rehydrating. More to come tomorrow. Till then, a great big hello to all, especially to my son Sean, who is keeping my home fires burning. Thanx son...REDSENDS...
Campsite in Kerrville Texas

4 comments:

  1. Okay so now I'm totally caught up. Read from the begining to here and look forward to more post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sincerely miss our morning talks. I miss my friend :/
    Good to be able to see how your doing though-thank u for posting!
    Had to figure out how to make some blog thing before I could post on yours.
    I miss you lots and lots! Take care of yourself!

    By the way it cracked me up to see the beard, I didn't even think about how it would be way to inconvenient for you to shave on your journey. So don't come back without looking like a real biker with a long beard! Lol

    -Danielle

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanx for looking in on me. It touches my heart to hear from all of you...REDSENDS...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Waiting for the latest installment. What's going on?

    ReplyDelete