Friday, June 29, 2012

Time to move on

Today was my last day in Houston area. First, I want to thank Brenda, Jackson, and the dogs for allowing me to stay. Not so much to you, JD. You never really had a choice. Our Brotherhood runs to deep and we can't say no when the hand goes up.
This morning, Jim and I traveled to the Johnson Space Center, where astronauts did most of their training prior to a mission. We saw some of the real equipment used on missions, moon rocks, and actual capsules from the earliest John Glenn capsule to the multi-person Apollo. We saw a Skylab mock up.Very interesting and thought provoking experience all around.
 We also drove around Galveston Island, an enormous low lying wetlands that has been beaten time after time by one hurricane after another. The folks keep coming back to rebuild, 'cuz it's a beautiful place and near the water.But the houses are getting higher and higher up the stilts. This time it has gone up from 12 to 14 feet above water line.

Space Shuttle on stand. Will be available to tour soon

Big Boy go Pee

Is this part of the fake moon landing?
Somebody probably believes, yes

Looking South across Galveston Bay

Looking North from the same place on Galveston Bay

Eagle Eye Construction


















We also ran into a couple of buddies of Jim. James and Tree of Eagle Eye Construction.These guys just finished final inspection on an elevated boardwalk of about 300 yards. Beautiful job, no elevation changes in the whole span. The job is for a local environmental group and had to meet ADA standards. Jim and I had stopped to walk out to the beach and found them just finishing their work and getting ready to leave.
Luck put us together with these hilarious guys. The interesting part of the company is they can move from a raw lumber job like this into a clean room construction project for research labs, etc. Good work, and nice meeting you. Now send me a clean, new hat. JD has your dirty one. Also James, quit calling me. I don't wanna date. HA!!















Finally, I take off tomorrow towards the east coast. I will have two long travel days that were supposed to be cooler and easier. But, I will be right inside this record heat as it moves east with me. Yeah, yeah, I hear you; quit my sniveling. Hoping my new gear helps temperature control.
Closing thought of the day seems appropriate... "There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle." Albert Einstein asks which way we will go with ours in this simple statement.

2 comments:

  1. Looks beautiful, glad your having a good time! Stay safe!
    -Danielle

    ReplyDelete
  2. We enjoyed having you Red and will miss you. Be safe!
    Brenda

    ReplyDelete